Submitting a disability claim online - FAQs for plan administrators
If your plan is set up to allow disability claim submissions online, you can do so by going to manulife.ca and signing in to our secure site as a Plan Administrator. Search for a member using any of the fields provided, and then click on the certificate number to pull up that member’s Coverage Summary Page. Click on ‘Submit a Disability Claim’ in the right-hand navigation pane, select the benefits for which you are submitting, and follow the instructions.
You and your members can submit all benefit types that are included in your policy. These may include:
- Short-Term Disability (STD)
- Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- Absence Management Consultation Services (AMCS)
- Critical Illness (CI)
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
Yes. Your plan member can also submit claims at manulife.ca by signing in under ‘My Group Benefits’, and clicking on ‘Submit a Disability Claim’ in the right-hand navigation pane. If your plan includes Absence Management Consultation Services (AMCS), the ability to submit a disability claim online for this benefit is available only to plan administrators.
Yes. Manulife uses encryption to ensure confidential information is kept safe. Information provided to Manulife is kept private and confidential, and is not shared with any persons without consent.
Manulife requires information about your member and their work. This may include:
- plan contract number for the benefit to which your member is applying
- contact information so that we can reach you
- details about your member, their job and salary information
- additional coverage information for which your member may be applying
Yes, after clicking on ‘Submit a Disability Claim’, you will see instructions, and then a list of benefits you can submit. There are some combinations of benefits you can apply for at once, for example, when applying for Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits, you can also apply for Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D), Waiver and Critical Illness. Other benefits can only be submitted individually, e.g. Absence Management Consultation Services (AMCS).
- Job schedule – if your member has a rotational schedule or a unique shift, we ask for a copy of that schedule if available.
- Occupational Demands Analysis – our form includes a section whereby you can provide details about your member’s occupation, e.g. their requirement to lift, carry, push, pull, along with other demands. If you are unable to accurately complete this section, you have the option to download a PDF version of it, and have it completed by (for example) the member’s direct leader.
From your plan member:
- Copy of a void cheque – we ask that your member include a copy of a voided cheque. This can be done by your member simply taking a picture of their cheque, and uploading it to their claim submission.
- Copy of a police report – if your member’s claim is in relation to a motor vehicle accident, or any other incident related to a member’s claim where a police report is available, and if available, we ask for a copy of the police report.
- Attending Physician’s Statement (APS) – Depending on the benefit for which you are submitting, an APS may be required to be completed by your member’s physician. This form can be printed from our site, and either uploaded to the member’s submission, or it can be sent via e-mail, fax or regular post. Instructions are included on the form. A link to the APS will be included in the confirmation your member gets after submitting a claim online. Forms can also be found in the forms section of the Plan Member and Plan Administrator sites.
- Plan Member Authorization, Certification & Agreement – for Manulife to process a claim, we require a signed authorization from your member. Your member will be asked to electronically acknowledge their claim submission on our online form, however will also be asked to print off the authorization form, sign it, and send it back to us. If your member did not print off the authorization, they can call us at 1-877-481-9169 and we will send one to them.
You can upload files in a variety of formats: PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF, TIFF, JPE, JFIF and GIF - including pictures taken with your smart phone, or documents you scan to your computer. You can upload a maximum of 10 files, at a maximum file size of 5 MB (megabytes) per file.
Yes. Each time you click ‘Next’ on our forms, the system will save your spot, so that when you come back, you can pick up from where you left off. Clicking ‘Save’ will do the same thing.
To find claims you have started, but haven’t yet submitted, see the ‘Claims In Progress’ section of the benefit selection page.
Yes. Just log back in using your ID and password, click on “Submit a disability claim”, and under the section titled Submitted Claims, you will find your submitted claim. Click on attachments, and you can upload more documents or images to the same claim.
Yes. Our system will save any progress you make when completing the claim forms. You will see these on the home page under ‘Claims In Progress’. There you will be able to view the information you have entered so far, edit a claim you haven’t submitted yet, change or upload new attachments, or delete the claim if you started it in error.
You will also see claims that you have already submitted. You cannot delete a submitted claim or attachments.
Not necessarily. The group number refers to your overall group benefits plan. The plan contract number is specific to the type of benefit for which the application is being completed. Your member may ask you for their plan contract number when completing their portion of the form.
There are some fields on our forms that require a response before you proceed. If you have not completed these fields, you will see error messages at the top of the screen asking you to fix them. These will be highlighted on the form by either a red asterisk next to the field, or the field itself will be highlighted in red colour.
You will see sections throughout the form where you can upload these documents. If you have pictures or scanned images of them, you can upload them directly from your computer. Just click on ‘choose’ to select the file you wish to upload, and then click on ‘upload’ to upload it.
We recommend maintaining your own copy of any information you send to us.
Yes. You will receive a confirmation number at the time you submit your claim that you can use to reference your claim submission. This is NOT a claim number. A claim number will be assigned once all information has been received.
The confirmation will contain important information, including additional documents you may be required to provide as described above.
Once all information is received, each claim will be reviewed by a Case Manager. Upon review, the Case Manager will reach out to you and your member with the decision on their claim.
For more information, please call the Manulife contact center at 1-877-481-9169.