The content is targeted towards those in people leader positions and those who support those people, for example: managers, supervisors, HR, directors. Organizations wanting an employee level course can refer to our Mental Health First Aid which can be deployed across all staff positions.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training is a globally recognized certification program developed by the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC). Funded by Health Canada, the MHCC leads the development and delivery of innovative programs and tools to support the mental health and wellness of Canadians.
MHFA aims to help participants gain credible knowledge and practical experience that promotes mental well-being. MHFA equips participants with the skills and tools to recognize the signs when someone may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being, are experiencing substance use challenges, and/or are in crisis. Helping individuals understand what initial support they can provide those in need and how to intervene early is statistically shown to reduce harm for that individual by guiding the person towards the appropriate treatment and supports.
With a learner centered approach, participants will:
- Recognize the signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being, or a mental health, or substance use crisis
- Learn how to have conversations with the person to:
- talk about their mental well-being
- discuss professional, personal, and other support that can help promote recovery
- learn how to reach out to these supports
- How to assist an employee during a mental health or substance use crisis
- Evaluate one’s own mental well-being and act as needed
This course is available to all employee levels within an organization. The course is divided in to 2 mandatory elements: pre-work and live classroom time:
- Up to 2 hours of online prework
- 7 hours of classroom delivery (virtual is split in to two 3.5-hour sessions), In person would cover a full workday
Participants who successfully complete the program will receive their Mental Health First Aid course certificate recognized by the Mental Health Commission of Canada. Participants will also receive full digital access for 1 full year to the MHCC’s online first aid resource centre to further their learning and access resources to share.