Our commitment to you
A message regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and your
individual Manulife travel insurance
March 18, 2020
We understand the difficulties some Canadians are having in making arrangements to return home as per the guidance of the Canadian Government. With the challenge of getting back in a timely manner comes the concern of the potential impact to your Manulife individual travel insurance coverage purchased prior to your departure. As such please note the following:
As you arrange to come back to Canada, if you will be delayed beyond your current policy end date, Manulife will allow all Individual travel policies to be extended as follows:
- Extensions will be permitted up to and including April 30th. Please contact your travel insurance distributor by e-mail or phone to do so or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. It is important to include your name and policy number in the e-mail.
We will continue to revisit this date as the global situation continues to unfold.
- If your original policy end date is beyond April 30th, 2020, your coverage remains in place for its full duration as per the policy terms and conditions.
Wherever you may be, we strongly encourage you to support and adhere to the advice of the medical professionals and experts around the world during this time.
If you purchased individual Manulife travel insurance, rest assured that depending on your level of coverage, we will assist in some or all of the costs you incur. We encourage our customers to work with their travel provider to return to Canada.
If you purchased trip interruption insurance, you will be reimbursed for:
- The cost of a one-way economy airfare to return home up to the stated limit in your policy
- The cost of your unused prepaid land arrangements that were part of your travel booking
If you are delayed beyond your return date and have to remain at your destination for a period of time beyond your return date, your trip interruption coverage includes:
- A daily allowance of up to $350/day depending on your policy for hotel, meal, transportation and communication expenses. Please save your receipts. Most policies will provide this for up to 10 days beyond your scheduled return date. To view the full details of your coverage, please refer to your policy.
If you are unable to come home as per your return date, please note that your Manulife Travel Insurance policy has automatic provisions to extend your coverage at no additional costs for 72 hours. As such, your coverage will continue if you are unable to get home immediately and delayed beyond your return date.
If you are within Canada and have a question about upcoming travel, please talk to your travel provider.
If you are within Canada and have a question about your non-travel related claim, such as dental or prescription, use one of our self-serve options for a faster service. Click here for a list of those.
The health and safety of Canadians is a top priority for us. Thank you for your continued trust in Manulife.
As of January 29, 2020, the Government of Canada issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for travel to China in relation to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Since this time, COVID-19 has spread globally, additional high-level Canadian Government warnings have been issued and countries continue to expand their reported cases. It has been acknowledged as a global concern and is being closely monitored by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Trip Cancellation & Interruption Insurance (“TCII”) does include an exclusion for reasons, circumstances, events, etc., that the purchaser is aware of prior to having their TCII insurance issued and which may lead to a cancellation or interruption of the trip. If before purchasing your TCII, you were aware of a reason or event that may cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip a claim for that reason or event will not be payable.
As of March 5, 2020, Manulife has determined that COVID-19 is now considered a known event and the applicable exclusion will be applied for policies issued on or after this date.
This exclusion will apply globally, including trips to territories with no existing travel advisory or outbreak.
The “10-Day Free Look” period is also available to help in your decision-making process.
This notice does not apply to policies purchased prior to March 5, 2020.
We will continue to monitor this situation and provide further updates, if required. If you have additional questions, please contact Manulife Customer Service.