Dexcom continuous glucose monitor soon to be eligible under drug benefit
June 17, 2022
For business owners, plan administrators, and sponsors
Effective July 1 2022, Dexcom G6™ real-time continuous glucose monitor (rtCGM) will be available as part of our drug benefit for plans that include these devices.
Here's what you need to know
- Dexcom G6 is a real-time continuous glucose monitoring (rtCGM) system that provides glucose alerts and readings on the patient’s phone – no need for finger pricks or scanning.
- Dexcom will be transitioning distribution of the G6 product to the pharmacy this year.
- Manulife members going to the Dexcom website will be redirected to purchase in pharmacy.
- Dexcom G6 is now available in pharmacies across Canada and claims can be submitted directly at the pharmacy.
- Currently, it’s covered as a medical device under our extended health care benefit but starting July 1, it will be covered as part of our drug benefit for plans that include these devices.
- This change provides increased convenience because eligible members will now be able to purchase these in pharmacy, along with their other diabetes medications and supplies.
- For direct drug plans, this eliminates the member’s upfront out-of-pocket costs.
- Automated prior authorization is applied at point of sale which reduces paperwork and delays in getting access.
- Manulife worked with Dexcom Canada to ensure a smooth transition of coverage for Dexcom G6 from extended health care to the drug benefit including preferred pricing to reduce costs for plan sponsors and members.
- This change will be communicated to pharmacies.