Renewal Reminder: Best Value Specialty Drug Care program
Your next renewal will contain information about the latest evolution of Manulife’s Specialty Drug Care (SDC) program – Best Value SDC. Best Value SDC requires all new prescriptions for specialty drugs to go through one of the program pharmacies to be eligible for coverage.
With Best Value SDC, we will continue to focus on patients/plan members with new prescriptions for specialty drugs, so less than 0.4 per cent of Manulife’s total claiming population will be affected. However, savings are expected to grow over time due to increasing specialty drug prices and a higher number of plan members joining the program each year as new more effective therapies are introduced to the market.
- Patient satisfaction – Bayshore has been working with Manulife plan members for more than two years and we’ve been surveying participating members about their experience. Plan members continue to be very satisfied with the care they’re receiving from their Bayshore nurses and appreciate the consistency this program provides as they progress through their treatment. As of February 2017:
- 99% of plan members who responded to our survey rated the service offered by the nurse care manager and their experience with the program as excellent.
- 94% of respondents indicated that this program adds value to their benefits plan.
- Protecting value – The specialty pharmacy market is very competitive and continuing to evolve. We are observing a more aggressive outreach to patients from competing pharmacies which is decreasing the number of plan members voluntarily joining the program. Requiring plan members that are new to a specialty drug prescription to participate is an easy way to help maximize your potential cost savings, while providing members with access to the extra health management support available through the program. It’s a win-win.
SDC case management services in Quebec
The offering in Quebec is unchanged. SDC case management continues to be available on a fee-for-service basis for those clients that choose to provide the services to plan members in Quebec.
What do you need to do?
We’ll include information about the updates to the program with your renewal. In the meantime, you can:
- Read this article to learn about how SDC has already helped plan sponsors and their members.
- Read this article to find out how Manulife’s multi-faceted specialty drug strategy supports savings and positive health outcomes.
- Read this brochure to learn more about SDC.
If you have any questions, please contact your Manulife representative.